Hi from Paris! We are loving our time in Paris - full of exploring, cafes, long lingering meals (and work for me).
If you want your mind blown by a guitar solo, Blake Mills will take you there in this 20-minute jam.
I've never really listened to Wilco, but cool that they're giving their new record away.
- I was rooting for Federer at Wimbledon, and just saw this photo from the action. He plays so gracefully.
- Interested in finding out more about Pro Tools First
And this is the second Friday where Fridays are the international music release date! Out today:
September has been an unusually rich month for new music, and here are some highlights for me:
- Blake Mills | Heigh Ho. The live show last Thursday at El Rey was among the best I have ever seen. Unbelievable instrumentation and direct songs. Hoping to get the vinyl soon.
- Ryan Adams | Ryan Adams. After listening the first time through on NPR, I knew this record would be in my top 3 for all of 2014. I only buy vinyls of records I already love, and I bought the vinyl the day it came out.
- Delta Spirit | Into the Wide. I've loved keeping up with these guys since the Noise Ratchet days, but this record shows their maturation in the best way.
- Lecrae | Anomaly. A huge congrats to him on charting #1 on Billboard!
- Alt-J | This Is All Yours. I have only given this a quick listen, but so far I like what I hear.
- The Tree Ring | Ten Rivers. Going to a farewell show for one of your favorite bands is never fun, but The Tree Ring has continued to give their community great songs. (See photo below)
- Robbie Seay | Psalms, Volume 3 - EP. Robbie is an amazing songwriter and so consistent.
Then came some surprises with new singles from Damien Rice and Ben Howard.
And in a historical and controversial move, this other small band made their record available for free.
And with that, I deem this a rich musical month.
For anyone interested, I made a September playlist comprised of some of my favorite songs from all of the aforementioned records on Spotify. Enjoy.
Photo of The Tree Ring from their farewell show by Phillip Harder.
- I've shared this before, but going into this weekend, I hope this is a good encouragement:
"God never hurries. There are no deadlines against which He must work. Only to know this is to quiet our spirits and relax our nerves." -A.W. Tozer
- The end of the Tree Ring is near, but I am glad they're not leaving us without a peace offering of a new record. And I am stoked on the new song, "Beside A River."
Looking for some great information on the background of what is happening in Ferguson? Check out Vox's coverage of it all.
I am really glad to have seen Glass Optical in Dallas earlier this week. If you want literally the best experience buying frames, lenses, and anything optical-related, wait until you are in Dallas and do it then.
Seen some ice bucket challenge videos? Interesting piece about how it started.
Ryan Adams really nailed it with "Gimme Something Good" on Jimmy Fallon and love this BTS of "Wrecking Ball":
- Pretty excited about Baylor's new McLane Stadium (shown below). Hope to make it out there this year.
- T. Swift is sure making news with her new video. What do you think?
- We put out the Milo Greene SerialBox Session yesterday. Really great to have that out there for everyone to see now and I hope everyone really loves their songs as much as I do.
Saw the Tree Ring last weekend, and confirmed that they have written some of my favorite songs.
How about this masterpiece starring Phoenix:
Up in Pasadena enjoying a wedding weekend, but here are some fun things from the week:
- Really dig this Chris Burkard photo:
Been listening to the Tree Ring all week after the house show earlier this week. The songs are SO good.
Interesting for Google be releasing a competitor to Evernote...
IC + SXSW + Noah Gunderson: Sweet.
Love trying out new apps, and if you're just looking for a spot to write and eventually collaborate, Draft seems pretty cool.
13 posts matching "tree ring"« View All Posts
Browse by Category– Music
Featured Blog Posts
August 18, 2017
April 14, 2017
December 31, 2016