September has been an unusually rich month for new music, and here are some highlights for me:
- Blake Mills | Heigh Ho. The live show last Thursday at El Rey was among the best I have ever seen. Unbelievable instrumentation and direct songs. Hoping to get the vinyl soon.
- Ryan Adams | Ryan Adams. After listening the first time through on NPR, I knew this record would be in my top 3 for all of 2014. I only buy vinyls of records I already love, and I bought the vinyl the day it came out.
- Delta Spirit | Into the Wide. I've loved keeping up with these guys since the Noise Ratchet days, but this record shows their maturation in the best way.
- Lecrae | Anomaly. A huge congrats to him on charting #1 on Billboard!
- Alt-J | This Is All Yours. I have only given this a quick listen, but so far I like what I hear.
- The Tree Ring | Ten Rivers. Going to a farewell show for one of your favorite bands is never fun, but The Tree Ring has continued to give their community great songs. (See photo below)
- Robbie Seay | Psalms, Volume 3 - EP. Robbie is an amazing songwriter and so consistent.
Then came some surprises with new singles from Damien Rice and Ben Howard.
And in a historical and controversial move, this other small band made their record available for free.
And with that, I deem this a rich musical month.
For anyone interested, I made a September playlist comprised of some of my favorite songs from all of the aforementioned records on Spotify. Enjoy.
Photo of The Tree Ring from their farewell show by Phillip Harder.
Wow. Ron Artest to Metta World Peace to The Panda's Friend.
Take this guitar sound quiz. How'd you do?!
Baylor alum, can you believe what new students have to do for football tickets at the new stadium?
- This rules, and is so heavy:
Well, Google changed it logo for the first time in a while. Look at the difference.
In case you don't already, here's a good reason to make your bed first thing every morning. (Love, Mom. (That's for you, Michael.))
73 Music posts« View All Posts
Browse by Category– Music
Featured Blog Posts
August 18, 2017
April 14, 2017
December 31, 2016